Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Girl, A Vampire, and A Zombie

Those of you who know me well and have spoken with me in the last week and a half know EXACTLY who the zombie is....last week, I started reading the Twilight series, thinking it would be a fun diversion in between work and homemaking. WRONG!! (well, I mean, it was fun, but it kind of took over everything....) It had been SO long since I've read for pleasure, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I started Twilight on Monday night, and was instantly sucked in. I don't think I went to bed earlier than midnight any night last week -- most nights I was up until 1:30 or 2:00. Colby noticed my erratic behavior and became concerned, but I think he could tell he was better off not getting involved. By Wednesday night, I'd finished book one; I promptly flipped back to the beginning and started over. On Thursday I remembered my Barnes and Noble gift card Aunt Susan gave me for Christmas, and I rushed over to buy New Moon and Eclipse. Of course, I was once again so enveloped in Twilight that I had to finish it before moving on. I began New Moon on Friday. Although it's much different (and not quite as romantic) as the first, this book managed to keep me occupied (and frustrated,and crying) all night long...literally. I finally went to sleep around 4:30 a.m., but that didn’t stop me from starting Eclipse on Saturday afternoon. By Sunday night, just before midnight, I’d finished all three books. I finally emerged from my alternate universe and realized that, for an entire week, I had truly become one of the “undead.” My apartment was a disaster – I hadn’t bothered to cook, clean, or do laundry for days. My poor husband was feeling lonely and neglected, and was very worried about my sleep deprivation (even though I didn’t feel its effects until Monday night).

Things are mostly back to normal now. I spent the first part of this week playing “catch-up” on all of the things I neglected last week. I even managed to decorate a little, and finally finished organizing the office. I still don’t feel quite “settled,” though – even though I know there is a fourth Twilight book coming soon, and most of the existing conflicts have been resolved, I found myself beginning the series again last night. Hopefully I’ll be able to pace myself a little better this time. :)

Before starting Twilight again, I visited Stephenie Meyer’s website. My sister had told me about a project of Stephenie’s related to the Twilight series. On her site is a rough-draft manuscript of Midnight Sun, Chapter 1, “First Sight.” It details Bella’s first day in Forks, but this time from Edward’s perspective. It is FASCINATING! (Click here to read it.) After I had read this and began Twilight again, I felt like I understood Edward perfectly – the strange, frustrated looks, the hate in his eyes during Mr. Banner’s biology class, etc. I only wish there was more; as I moved on to Chapters 2 and 3 I suddenly felt blind because I could no longer hear what was in Edward’s mind. Even still, I am giddy with anticipation of what I already know will come again in these first three books, and even more excited for the fourth book to come out in August. I will be the first in line at Wal-Mart!! I kind of feel like I am in junior high again…

Now, moving on to something EXTREMELY important – Twilight the movie. It is currently filming in Portland, I think, and will be released on December 12. Yikes!! I am so excited (again with the silly junior high-ness)!! I hope they keep it fairly true to the story, and don’t change anything too much – I hate it when that happens! In my eager anticipation of the film I’ve spent some time on-line googling cast pics, video clips, anything I could find. At first, swayed slightly by some of my friends’ opinions, I was disappointed in some of the casting decisions (namely, Edward). However, I’ve now changed my mind. So, Sarah, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think Robert Pattinson will make a very good Edward.

Consider display #1:

















And if that doesn’t do it for you, here’s #2:
















Now, truly – that screams “hunky vampire!”

Finally, the Twilight movie trailer. Check it out here. And thanks for not thinking I’m crazy – I must’ve just been bitten or something….

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh I knew you would love it if you started it! I didn't expect you to get that obsessed though! But the series is amazing huh? You really can't put it down! Luckily I read it at Lake powell when i didn't have to be doing anything else. I've been wanting to read them all again and you've sparked my interest. As soon as I finish my books Im reading right now i'm going to start! well I'm glad you've joined the twilight following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Edward & Bella!
    Weird how the whole Jacob thing ended. It's still sad he didn't get his chance with Bella... & that now he doesn't feel that way towards her anymore. O 'well.

    ReplyDelete