Thursday, April 12, 2012

What do you think?

I feel bad for Scott. On Monday I handed him a sock and he exclaimed, "I'm free!" only to find out that I meant for him to help me with the laundry. And with cleaning up the backyard, the garage, and the balcony. And ripping down and replacing a caving-in bedroom ceiling. And hauling tons of stuff to the dump.

He's probably starting to feel like Voldemort's house elf...if Voldemort were to have a house elf.

Anyway, it's been a crazy week. Luckily for me, the impending collapse of the aforementioned ceiling coincided perfectly with my dentist being out of town for a week, so I've had plenty of time to stay at home and slave away. And to lessen the drudgery of the never-ending pile of household chores and remodeling projects that threatens to suffocate me, I took some time to do what I want to do.

Like finishing my accessory organizer. I've been searching for a neat, attractive way to display all of my jewelry, watches, and eyeglasses (yes, I really own 9 pairs), using one of my old windows. Inspired by ideas I found on Etsy and Pinterest, this is what I came up with:





I wanted to remove all of the glass panes and just use the window frame, but I couldn't get the glass to budge so I left it. I painted the chicken wire with an iron coating and then an oxidizing agent (to make it a little rusty), then used a staple gun to attach it to the frame. A painted wooden dowel and the leftover curtain rod hangers from my kitchen curtain project serve as a removable holder for my bracelets and watches, and 9 little cup hooks screwed into the bottom hold all of my necklaces. Fun, huh?

5 comments:

  1. Love the practicality and cuteness! Looks like your inspirations and ideas paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. way cute. so jealous of your craft abilities

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! I'm trying a bulletin board thing for my accessories. I laughed out loud at your opening sentence. We bought our plane tickets to come to Utah in July. Can we see you?

    ReplyDelete