Monday, May 30, 2011

Table Cover

I just finished a super-cute, fitted cover for my kitchen table. I got the idea from Ilona a couple of years ago and have been dying for one of my own. About a month ago I was at Quilting Cottage in American Fork, and spotted the perfect fabric -- vintage green, polka-dotted, vinyl-coated cotton. It was about $15/yard...kind of expensive, but totally worth it. Not only is it adorable, but spills wipe off easily, which is especially nice when Scott's kids are visiting.

My table is small -- a 36x48" oval -- so I didn't need a lot of fabric. I think I bought about a yard and a half. I started by draping the fabric, wrong-side-down, over the table. I used a pencil to trace around the table's edge then cut, leaving 1/2" for a seam allowance.



To make the cover fitted, I cut a long strip 6" wide and sewed it around the edge of the table-top piece. I graded and notched the seam allowance (to reduce bulk) then edge-stitched around the top so it'd lie flat.





Finally, I sewed a 1/2" hem around the bottom.



Ta-dah!



I love it, and it was so easy to make!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!! I think I'm gonna have to try that one, too! That is just so stinkin' cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, me oh my!!! I LOVE it!!! It's GREAT!!! I want one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too, but my favorite part is that you say "it was so easy to make"...easy for YOU!!!It was like you were speaking chinese with all of that "sewing talk" :) You are talented my dear!

    ReplyDelete