Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Big Accomplishment

Yesterday was a big day for me -- I ran my very first 5K! About a month ago I joined a group of church friends who'd been training for the race since April. Coming in late, I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up. I hadn't had to run since middle school, and even then I was a sissy and usually walked half of the required weekly mile. My kickboxing class must've kicked my butt into shape, though, because I've definitely held my own.


1627 -- my new favorite number! Sadly, they were out of my t-shirt size. When I picked up my race packet I got a shirt two sizes too big! It went halfway down my thighs and made me look huge....not very sexy....


My cute running friends. I've discovered that it's much more fun running with other people. We've gotten to know each other better, and have definitely pushed each other to work harder.


Crossing the finish line....


My proud little sis came to watch me, along with my brother and his girlfriend.

The race was harder than I'd anticipated. The huge hill in the first mile nearly killed me, as I hadn't trained on hills and didn't pace myself very well. A couple of times I almost stopped running, especially as people around me slowed down to walk. I just couldn't bring myself to quit, though, and I managed to finish in less than 30 minutes with only a couple of stroller-pushers beating me to the finish. I was a little disappointed with my time, as I'd completed my last practice run in 24 minutes. I guess that means I will have to keep training, so I can do better at my next race!

13 comments:

  1. Great job!!! That is so awesome! I remember when you said you wanted to do this and i'm so happy for you that you accomplished your goal. That feels so good. You're probably in better running shape than me at this point, you're motivating me to get back out there!

    Oh and big shirt or not, you are looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you are simply amazing. Can I be more like you? I'd like to run, but haven't yet found the joy in it. What's your secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo!! NICE job rach! And 24 min is GOOD!!!
    And running buddies are the best! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - I was at that same race. I can't believe I didn't see you..but then again I can because there were so many people running! AWESOME!! You did great!! PS - do you have access to my blog...if not send me your email address. cmwambat@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The job search hasn't really started yet. I've been putting it off because I'm scared, and I haven't been able to mail in my license application yet. But it's going in tomorrow so no more procrastination. A hygienist in my ward told me that dropping off resumes isn't a good idea because offices don't like it. They only want to see your resume if they've posted a job opening. She also said hygiene is different out here; dentists don't respect hygienists as much as on the west coast, and offices aren't as nice and high tech out here. I emailed a few offices who posted jobs on craigslist. And the temp agency is getting back to me this week. So we'll see how it goes! Suddenly I'm wishing I'd paid more attention to those dumb lectures on how to interview, because I've never had to do it before!

    Whew - How's the job search going for you? Any of those interviews paid off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Rachel! And I agree with Angie, bug shirt or no, you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job Rach! Or should I say, DA-BOMB. :) Good for you for finishing so many things you start. You rock! You must feel really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome! Good job! I will be running my first 5k on july 4th! I really haven't been training myself as well as i should, and now am realizing that my endurance is nowhere it should be either! But my goal is to just run the whole thing! i don't care how fast i do it! we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel, you are amazing! Congrats on the 5k. And I just have to say that I just can't wait to have a girl so I can buy one of your dresses. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, also, am happy that YOU watch the Bachelorette! If I watch it while Klane's in the room he makes me feel like its the dumbest thing ever. But it is awesome! :) I'm actually watching the first half of last night's episode right now, cause I missed it yesterday. But I agree, Wes needs to get out of here. Creeeeepy. And I think if she loses Jake because he's "too perfect" then she is an idiot. Too perfect?! What the heck does that even mean??!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO ridiculously proud of you! You are my hero and you were looking hot even if your shirt was a little large for your trim little self. I love you and am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete