Sunday, July 27, 2008

I Must Be Crazy...

This past week I spent a lot of time working on scholarship applications, hoping to earn some last-minute financial aid before returning to hygiene school. One such application involved writing a series of silly short essays, and induced an epiphany that I just might be certifiable.

About two days ago, I put some chicken on the stove to boil, and sat down to write a scholarship essay. What I came up with was a blurb about vegetable rights activism ("Love vegetables -- don't eat them"). Andrea laughed out loud when I read it to her; she also suggested that I add a link to a fake website "in case people want to make a donation" to my imaginary vegetable rights group. I took it one step further, and found myself actually creating a website called "The Virtues of Veggies." I got so sucked into it, that all of the water boiled out of my pot on the stove, and the chicken on the bottom of the pot burned to blackness...

Now I suppose I must redeem myself by reminding you that this website is not to be taken seriously. I did not found the ASPCV. I do not believe that harvesting green beans means we're "kidnapping the plants' children." I really do eat vegetables...all the time. In fact, I love them. I just occasionally get caught up in fantastic, crazy whims and don't know when to put them down.

1 comment:

  1. That was one of the funnier things I've read in a while. I especially liked the fact that one of your contributers was based out of Seattle.

    We missed you guys at the funeral/reunion. We're coming to Utah for Christmas so maybe we can catch you then. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete